Thursday, July 15, 2010

Jerry Cantrell - Degradation Trip (2002)

The second solo album of Jerry Cantrell was released just a little more than two months after Layne Staley of Alice in Chains died of a heroin overdose. Unlike the first solo record, this one is much harder and features a constant lineup that consists of drummer from Faith No More Mike Bordin and now Metallica bassist Rob Trujillo. The album took so long to put together that he had lost his long time label with Columbia. He had to finance the stuido time and at the sametime rebound to another label as heads of major record companies may like your music but, the numbers need to be comparable and profitable to a degree of major pop stars for them to get the outcome they want. As the tour came along, Bordin and Trujillo couldn't make it for the tour and actually Comes With the Fall the band opening up for him would play in his band despite his band switching to play with Ozzy. Ironically, years later William Duvall the frontman for Comes With the Fall would be fronting the new Alice in Chains as lead singer. This would set the once deceased Alice in Chains to revive one of the most influental rock bands of all time. Songs to check out "Anger Rising", "She Was My Girl" and "Angel Eyes".

1. "Psychotic Break" 4:09
2. "Bargain Basement Howard Hughes" 5:38
3. "Anger Rising" 6:14
4. "Angel Eyes" 4:44
5. "Solitude" 4:00
6. "Mother's Spinning in Her Grave (Glass Dick Jones)" 3:53
7. "Hellbound" 6:46
8. "Give It a Name" 4:01
9. "Castaway" 4:59
10. "She Was My Girl" 3:59
11. "Chemical Tribe" 6:35
12. "Spiderbite" 6:38
13. "Locked On" 5:37
14. "Gone" 5:08

2 comments:

  1. Nice review Andrew. Jerry Cantrell is one of my favorite musicians. I have this album, and his first album Boggy Depot. I think they are both strong, and show what an amazing talent he is. I joined your group at LastFM. You should join my site. http://hardrockrevolution.com/

    ~Trey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Trey, I'm a huge Cantrell fan myself and last month I reviewed Boggy Depot. I'll be gladly to join your site.

    ReplyDelete