Thursday, September 16, 2010

Megadeth - Cryptic Writings (1997)

I believe this is one of the first Megadeth albums I heard, ultimately the one that got me into them. It's not a popular pick, the common use of the word sell out had been ringing in the ears and minds whenever I read something about Cryptic Writings how people on the internet felt about it. I always thought of this album as Megadeth hooky album. Like what Metallica did with Load, I guess in someways this was Megadeth's Load. Nowhere near as good as Load though but, it has the same blues influence in the songs. I remember being really addicted to this album when I was in seventh grade, listening to it on the bus in the morning on the 15 minute bus ride to my middle school. You can only go so far doing thrash metal your entire life that how could one not get tired and push for a new musical direction. I also believe Dave Mustaine didn't think he could repeat another Rust in Peace and in my opinion never has has come close. This is the last time with the classic lineup as well. I think Mustaine was showing more care for his vocals and lyrics too at this time because there had been maturity growth within the start of the band to Cryptic Writings. People who try to be critics are usually narrow minded and ignorant, who cares if it's a commercial release it's Megadeth. So fucking what..wrong band but, you get my point. Songs to check out "Trust", "Sin" and "Almost Honest".

1. "Trust" 5:12
2. "Almost Honest" 4:09
3. "Use the Man" 4:04
4. "Mastermind" 3:48
5. "The Disintegrators" 3:05
6. "I'll Get Even" 4:19
7. "Sin" 3:06
8. "A Secret Place" 5:25
9. "Have Cool, Will Travel" 3:40
10. "She-Wolf" 3:38
11. "Vortex" 3:23
12. "FFF" 2:47

No comments:

Post a Comment