Friday, September 24, 2010

Gin Blossoms - New Miserable Experience (1992)

This is one of my favorite pop rock bands of the nineties, Gin Blossoms breakthrough album was so instrumental to the scene at the time. It's one of those albums you couldn't escape since the singles were playing on the alternative radio stations. I clearly remember hearing the Gin Blossoms a ton back when I was living in the bay area. My dad wasn't a hard rock guy, he was listening to all that alternative stuff. Perhaps it's one of those deals where I have a feel for the songs because it's part of my past. Doug Hopkins the guitarist and lyricist of the band was fired for his alcohol problems and later committed suicide. He had shot himself with a pistol at the rehabilitation center he was at. It kind of in a way helped the band grow in popularity even though there strongest material of there career I would say is the stuff Hopkins did which was done in so much emotion. Being the lead guitarist, I think he gave them kind of an edgy sound. It's constant but, you wouldn't recognize the difference until the next album. The next album would be even more successful somehow I think because a year previous to the new record a song called "Till I Hear From You" came out on a soundtrack and exploded. The next album Congratulations I'm Sorry was titled in reference to the deceased member I think had a lot of help from that specific song. I think they got lucky with "Follow You Down" but, I hope the best for them as they have a new album entitled No Chocolate Cake coming out this Tuesday in stores. Songs to check out "Found Out About You", "Hey Jealousy" and "Allison Road".

1. "Lost Horizons (Gin Blossoms song)" – 3:20
2. "Hey Jealousy" – 3:56
3. "Mrs. Rita" – 4:25
4. "Until I Fall Away" – 3:51
5. "Hold Me Down" – 4:50
6. "Cajun Song" – 2:56
7. "Hands Are Tied" – 3:17
8. "Found Out About You" – 3:53
9. "Allison Road" – 3:18
10. "29" – 4:18
11. "Pieces of the Night" – 4:33
12. "Cheatin'" – 3:25

No comments:

Post a Comment