Monday, September 13, 2010

Anthrax - Among The Living (1987)

My favorite Anthrax album of all time and there break through record is undeniably a thrash masterpiece. The third studio album was dedicated to Metallica's bassist Cliff Burton who died in late 1986 in the tragic bus accident. This features my favorite Anthrax line up as well Belladonna-Benante-Ian-Spitz and Bello. In the eighties Anthrax represented the best of what the east had to offer as everybody knows the majority of the best thrash bands came out in the west specifically the bay area. This is probably there catchiest album and I totally adore Among the Living. It's everything I want in a metal album, heavy and fast, clear singing, anthems, headbanging sections and originality. Out of the big four, Anthrax gets the least respect out of the big four and this album was as innovative as any of the other thrash groups released in the eighties except for only Metallica. I think the thing that hurt Anthrax's fan base was they weren't serious guys and it seems like a large majority metal fans only like serious stuff like the complete opposite of Slayer's take on how metal should be. That's one of the things that I don't like how people have perceived motion that metal needs to worshiping Satan but, in all reality I'll stick up for Anthrax over Slayer any day. We'll see next summer when the big four comes and plays in the bay area finally or let's hope so. Mark my words Among the Living over Reign in Blood. Songs to check out "Among the Living" "Indians" and "Caught in a Mosh".

1. "Among the Living" 5:16
2. "Caught in a Mosh" 4:59
3. "I Am the Law" 5:57
4. "Efilnikufesin (N.F.L.)" 4:54
5. "A Skeleton in the Closet" 5:32
1. "Indians" 5:40
2. "One World" 5:56
3. "A.D.I./Horror of It All" 7:49
4. "Imitation of Life" 4:22

No comments:

Post a Comment