Monday, August 16, 2010

Savatage - Edge of Thorns (1993)

This album totally kicks ass. I'm still not very familiar with Savatage but it's great progressive hard rock. I was reading an article about these guys in a back issue of I think it was Rip Magazine and they looked cool because I was just looking for bands that weren't even glam in there. It's at the time where glam was bombarding the metal magazines back then. Hit Parader use to feature mostly glam while Rip was for the harder fans. I eventually spotted this record and this wasn't even a record store it was one of those flea markets. I don't think I've ever come across to them at the record stores I usually attend. I love the heavy guitars with the piano it just sounds so fucking epic. It sounds like it's from the eighties with great guitar solos whom unfortunately I'm not familiar with the bands history. I think this is one of those albums where the second half of the album is a lot better than the first half. There guitarist whose name is Criss Oliva died in a car accident after this album. This was Zak Stevens first album singing with them and I think after Criss died I think Alex Skolnick played guitar for them and after that former Megadeth guitarist Al Pitrelli would play guitar for them until he went into Megadeth after Marty Friedman quit Megadeth during the Risk tour in 2000. Songs sound great and I'm eager to listen to more of there stuff. Songs to check out "Edge of Thorns", "Degrees of Sanity", and "Sleep".

1. "Edge of Thorns" - 5:54
2. "He Carves His Stone" - 4:14
3. "Lights Out" - 3:10
4. "Skraggy's Tomb" - 4:22
5. "Labyrinths" - 1:29
6. "Follow Me" - 5:08
7. "Exit Music" - 3:05
8. "Degrees Of Sanity" - 4:36
9. "Conversation Piece" - 4:10
10. "All That I Bleed" - 4:41
11. "Damien" - 3:53
12. "Miles Away" - 5:06
13. "Sleep" - 3:52

No comments:

Post a Comment