Tuesday, August 10, 2010

R.E.M. - Monster (1994)

This is by far my most favorite R.E.M. record. It sounds almost too distorted and loud compared to all there other releases. I was literally raised on them as they were one of my dad's favorite bands as I have memories of being a young kid in the passenger seat listening to all there stuff from Automatic for the People, New Adventures of Hi-Fi, Up, Out of Time and the one that stuck with me the most Monster. It was them at there highest as they debuted at number one and Rolling Stone Magazine declared them the best band in 1995 in an back issue. I hear hints of seventies rock when I listen to it. I think vocalist Michael Stipe is super creative lyrically and has unique views of identity and reality from his perspective. I think I can relate to him myself since he had the same problems I have like insecurity, shyness and lack of direction. It's intellectually very high and I'm sure I'm going to get panned for putting them over on my site but, the songs have great textures where you can just get zoned out by the music. Regardless if it's alternative I still can see something past the music and I'm sure if you give it a chance you'll enjoy it because it's R.E.M. at there hardest. Songs to check out "Circus Envy", "You" and "Bang and Blame".

1. "What's the Frequency, Kenneth?" – 4:00
2. "Crush with Eyeliner" – 4:39
3. "King of Comedy" – 3:40
4. "I Don't Sleep, I Dream" – 3:27
5. "Star 69" – 3:07
6. "Strange Currencies" – 3:52
7. "Tongue" – 4:13
8. "Bang and Blame" – 5:30
9. "I Took Your Name" – 4:02
10. "Let Me In" – 3:28
11. "Circus Envy" – 4:15
12. "You" – 4:54

No comments:

Post a Comment