Saturday, June 26, 2010

Mastodon - Leviathan (2004)

I bought this album at Streetlight Records to get into the material as i'm seeing them open up for Alice in Chains in a couple of months on the Blackdiamondskye tour. When I first opened the CD the case I noticed had broke cause the bottom hinged was snapped off originally by the previous owner. Not a good start as this cost me ten bucks or so. First off, my introduction album was Crack the Skye I didn't like Remission when they first came out so I dismissed them until there newest album. Obvious candiate one of the bands of the future. I'm sure Mastodon gained most of there popularity by touring with Metallica which was a good move for Metal music that Metallica always is bringing these younger bands on lengthy and large tours for exposure such as Mastodon themselves, The Sword and Gojira. This album obviously has to do with Moby Dick as the coverart and song title relations. It's a concept album which i'm not a fan of single entities like I get the feeling that a lot of bands do this because they become inspired to a high degree when it'd be better to put the inspiration of that entity in one song not based on all tracks. I've always paid more attention to the music than whats been said anyway. Obviously, these guys are tremendous musicians and more importantly creating a different kind of feel with there songs with the awkward tempo changes and they have there own unique way of constructing the songs. It's hard to critique something fresh and artistic. I did a good job of not labeling them stoner throughout. Songs to check out are "Blood and Thunder", "Iron Tusk" and "Island".

1. "Blood and Thunder" 3:49
2. "I Am Ahab" 2:45
3. "Seabeast" 4:15
4. "Ísland" 3:27
5. "Iron Tusk" 3:03
6. "Megalodon" 4:22
7. "Naked Burn" 3:43
8. "Aqua Dementia" 4:12
9. "Hearts Alive" 13:39
10. "Joseph Merrick" 3:33

No comments:

Post a Comment