Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Pantera - The Great Southern Trendkill (1996)

I've found out that after listening to Vulgar and Cowboys from Hell on a day to day basis can get boring to the point I completely stopped listening to Pantera period. Was I burned out or was I not expanding my mind to other music by them which I figured out that The Great Southern Trendkill would later become my favorite Pantera record. While the time of the release the band and vocalist Phil Anselmo were not connecting and became distant. Anselmo blamed his moody actions on his back where he would abuse himself with alcohol and heroin noted big time in Vh1's Behind the Music: Pantera. I thought the vocal layering was perfectly done with the Pantera groove metal style specifically in this one as the vocals seem more aggressive but, not as angry as Vulgar Display of Power or Far Beyond Driven. The songs itself deal with Phil Anselmo's problems with drugs as I think he was the only one doing anything hardcore as the band had became the new alcohollica of the nineties. They'd literally kick people off the tour if they weren't getting drunk with them. Always were a confrontational band especially to the demise of the band, it's a good piece of rock history sadly missing in the community now that Dimebag Darrell is deceased. Songs to check out "Floods", "10's" and "War Nerve".

1. "The Great Southern Trendkill" 3:46
2. "War Nerve" 4:53
3. "Drag the Waters" 4:55
4. "10's" 4:49
5. "13 Steps to Nowhere" 3:37
6. "Suicide Note, Pt. 1" 4:44
7. "Suicide Note, Pt. 2" 4:19
8. "Living Through Me (Hell's Wrath)" 4:50
9. "Floods" 6:59
10. "The Underground in America" 4:33
11. "(Reprise) Sandblasted Skin" 5:39

No comments:

Post a Comment